By Sahil Patel
The Television Academy has unveiled the six juried award winners of the Outstanding Achievement in Interactive Media category, as part of the 66th annual Emmy Awards.
AATOAA, Google Creative Lab, and Unit9 took home the top prize for original interactive program, for “Just A Reflektor,” a short film companion to the recent Arcade Fire album “Reflektor.”
Discovery Channel’s “Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda” won the award for multi-platform storytelling.
Two winners were named in both the Social TV and User Experience and Visual Design fields. Pivot TV’s “HitRecord on TV” and National Geographic Channel’s “Live from Space” won for best social TV experiences, while HBO and Comcast took were recognized for best user experience, for the “Game of Thrones” viewer guide and Xfinity TV on X1 platform, respectively.
The Academy also recognized former IMPG executive and current managing partner of StoryTech Lori H. Schwartz as a digital luminary. She was awarded the Lucy Hood Digerati Award, which was renamed in honor of former TV Academy president and COO who passed away earlier this year.
The awards were announced during a reception hosted by the Academy’s Interactive Media Peer Group at the Leonard H. Goldenson Theatre in Los Angeles on Wednesday night.
Special guests at the event included the duo behind “Epic Rap Battles of History,” Harley Morenstein of “Epic Meal Time” and “Epic Meal Empire,” and “Orange Is the New Black” star Yael Stone.
The Emmy statuettes for these juried awards will be presented during the Creative Arts Emmy show, which takes place on Saturday, August 16.
There, one more award within the Interactive Media category will also be handed out: the prize for Outstanding Interactive Program. Nominees include HBO’s “Game of Thrones” premiere campaign on Facebook and Instagram, Comedy Central’s “@midnight,” the digital extension of NBC’s “The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon,” and NBC again for “The Voice” on NBC.com.
Here’s more information on the six juried winners:
Discovery Channel’s “Skywire Live with Nik Wallenda”
- Discovery Channel • Discovery Channel in association with Peacock Productions, Discovery Digital Media and the Discovery Agency
- Guhan Selvaretnam, SVP, Digital Media
- Scott Lewers, SVP, Programming
- Brian Dean, Senior Producer
- Josh Arensberg, VP, Engineering
- Jessica Wolfley, Director, Digital Strategy
Original Interactive Program
“Just A Reflektor”
- justareflektor.com • AATOAA, Google Creative Lab, UNIT9
- Google Creative Lab
- Vincent Morisset, Director, AATOAA
- Aaron Koblin, Creative Director, Google Creative Lab
Social TV Experience
“HITRECORD On TV”
- pivot.tv • HITRECORD, Brian Graden Media, Pivot
- Brian Graden Media
“Live From Space”
- National Geographic Channel • Mullen
- Matthew Zymet, Director, Digital Media
- Alison Walsh, Senior Producer, Digital Media
- Katy Anadale, Director, Digital Marketing
- Jon Eick, Manager, Social Media
- Char Serwa, Vice President, Production
User Experience And Visual Design
“Game of Thrones” Viewers Guide
- HBO • HBO, Definition 6
- HBO Digital and Social Media
- Definition 6
XFINITY TV On The X1 Platform
- comcast.com • Comcast
- Comcast User Experience