As subscription service YouTube Red goes live this morning with its first four exclusive originals — “A Trip to Unicorn Island,” “Lazer Team,” “Scare PewDiePie” and “Dance Camp” — it’s sweetening the pot with the announcement of two new projects set to be released later this year:
- Untitled Gigi Gorgeous Project: YouTube creator Gigi Gorgeous and two-time Oscar-winner Barbara Kopple have partnered with SelectNext and Sander Moses to create a feature-length documentary exploring the journey of a transgender woman from her childhood to life as a successful media personality.
- “Foursome” (pictured, top): An original series from AwesomenessTV starring Jenn McAllister (a.k.a JennxPenn) as Andie, an undateable sophomore — thanks to her older brother Alec (Logan Paul), who makes sure no guy comes near her — who must rely on the unbreakable bond she has with her three best friends, as they navigate the hormone-filled journey through high school.
The world premiere of “A Trip to Unicorn Island” will be held tonight at the TCL Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
YouTube Red also teased the a few more series scheduled to debut over the next few months (all but “Prank Academy” were previously announced at the YouTube Red unveiling in October):
- “Prank Academy”: Jesse M. Wellens and Jeana Smith of PrankvsPrank and BFvsGF put their expertise to work as they mentor celebrity guests, teaching them how to pull-off their most ambitious and complicated pranks yet with the help of some of YouTube’s biggest stars.
- 360 Project from MatPat of Game Theory: YouTube educator and pop culture expert MatPat from The Game Theorists invites the audience to come along for the ride in a new series and 360 VR experience in which he explores the real-life science behind popular video games.
- “Bad Internet”: Written by and starring the cast of CollegeHumor, along with special guests, this new anthology series takes a dark and comedic look at the absurdity of Internet culture.
- “Fight of the Living Dead”: A second season of the reality competition series from Alpine Labs that takes top YouTube talent and traps them in a simulated zombie apocalypse. Season one debuted on ConTV in March 2015.
Currently, the YouTube Red subscription service is only available in the U.S., but its original movies and series are available for purchase in a multitude of countries around the globe.