Are you a bibliophile (one who loves reading books)? Well, it’s fine if you are not but if you do have the habit of reading books then you would be off to a great start. For books provide us with information and knowledge in a concise package; while it would be too much to assert that reading books can make us a genius, well, at the least they should make us better informed. There are more than a handful of reasons why you should start reading books and more importantly, get your kids to develop this habit. Here’re a few reasons to highlight the importance of books and why they are essential.
- Childhood development: Childhood development is an important stage in the life of any child. And as you introduce your kids to books at a very young age, you would be expanding their minds with new concepts, new ideas, and even expand their vocabulary. You just need to make sure that they are reading age-appropriate books and by gifting them with the same, you are helping to speed up their development.
- Values: Most parents use books such as fairy tales, fables to instill a sense of basic values in their kids. Books are a powerful tool that you can use to ensure that your child grows up with a strong sense of basic values such as honesty, justice, the difference between right and wrong, etc. A good book can help instill these basic values in your kid, all that remains is in choosing the right book to inculcate your kid with these values.
- Mental stimulation: Reading books can help stimulate your brain; various studies have shown how an increase in reading activity can help to prevent degenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. It should also be pointed out that there is no conclusive proof to link one with the other but various studies have pointed out that mental stimulation can help prevent the same and this is where the books come in.
- Improves imagination and creativity: Being mentally stimulated can lead to an increase in creativity and ‘out of the box’ thinking. It has been pointed out how books help to stimulate the brain and the imagination. And this, in turn, can help boost your creativity.
- Memory: Reading books regularly can help improve your memory; as you read any book, you would be required to remember the basic plot, the various characters in it and how they relate to each other. All of this can help you to improve your memory.
These are some of the reasons why you should form a habit of reading books regularly. You can try out any niche being it non-fictional or even fictional; and reading regularly should help make you more productive and in the process, boosting your imagination. It is essential that you encourage your kids to read books early on as reading books at an early age can play a key role in childhood development.