Erectile dysfunction (ED) is not an uncommon phenomenon. Over 53% of the male population experience ED at some point in their lives. The chances of developing ED or symptoms of ED only increase with age. In fact, there is a 10% increase in risk as a man ages from 40 to 70. Most men who experience ED treat it through medications, like generic Viagra or generic Cialis available on IQDoctor. However, there are other ways to treat it as well.
ED can be caused by a wide range of issues. Stress, depression, anxiety, nerve signaling deficits, side effects from medication, hormone disorders, alcohol abuse, smoking, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease are common causes of erectile dysfunction. From a biological perspective, it is caused by the constricting of blood vessels. This makes it harder for blood to flow to the lower regions of the body, thus making it harder to maintain an erection. It is not uncommon for individuals with ED to also have some sort of underlying health issue. A meta-analysis of 25 studies showed that men who have been diagnosed with ED have a 59% higher risk of coronary heart disease and a 34% higher risk of stroke compared with men without symptoms of ED.
Plant-based diet and veganism have become quite popular and many claims have been made that they can help against ED. Research shows that this is indeed the case. A healthy plant-based diet greatly impacts overall health, and it carries over to sexual health. In this blog, we explore how a plant-based diet helps men maintain a healthy erection.
Plant-Based Diet for ED
Most medicals professionals agree that the state of a man’s overall health has a major role in determining whether he will experience ED. The best way to maintain optimal health and avoid ED is to have a healthy diet, and research has shown that a plant-based diet is a big part of it.
In a recent study that looked at the diet of 2,549 individuals aged 41 to 64. Researchers compared a healthy plant-based diet with a less-healthy diet that contains refined grains and packaged foods high in sugars. The data suggested that the plant-based diet was associated with less risk of ED.
A lack of blood flow is often the cause of ED, and it stems from health issues of clogged arteries that may be due to too much fat in the diet. A healthy diet that does not have animal-based saturated fat and cholesterol may improve circulatory health, resulting in better blood flow. Furthermore, vegetables like leafy greens and beets are some examples of foods that naturally contain nitrates. These nutrients are vital in lowering blood pressure and increasing blood flow leading to better erections.
Foods That Promote Healthy Erections
There are certain foods that are more than adequate replacement for the increasingly more accessible and cheap Viagra. In fact, these foods can be preventative in keeping away ED. As noted earlier, in most cases the key is blood flow, and these foods work towards improving it.
- Blackberries. The research found that consuming flavonoid-rich foods on a daily basis lowered the risk of ED. Flavonoids are found in blackberries in six distinct forms.
- Watermelon. L-citrulline, which is contained in watermelon, has been shown in animal studies to aid with ED by stimulating blood flow. It also includes lycopene, which is good for your heart, which is important if your ED is caused by anything else.
- Lettuce. Spinach has a lot of folic acids, which is a kind of vitamin B9 that is found in nature. According to research, males with ED generally have insufficient folic acid levels.
- Oatmeal. Oatmeal includes the non-essential amino acid L-arginine, which can help improve erection by relaxing the muscle walls of the blood vessels and increasing blood flow.
- Pistachios. Pistachios are high in antioxidants, which might aid with blood flow.
- Pomegranate juice. This juice has antioxidants that increase nitric oxide levels, which can help with ED.
- Avocado. Avocados are abundant in zinc, which may help to boost testosterone levels.
- Bananas. Bananas contain a lot of flavonoids and are high in potassium. Consuming flavonoid-rich meals in diet can help to reduce the risk of ED.
- Fish. Most forms of fish include omega-3 fatty acids, which can aid to improve blood flow and hence erections. Salmon, mussels, sardines, trout etc. are some of the species that are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- Chilli Peppers. Chilli peppers help you have a better erection by boosting blood flow.
Foods to Avoid
While some foods might improve your erectile function, others can have the opposite effect. You should moderate the intake of sugary drinks and alcoholic beverages, products made from soy, and liquor ice.
Lifestyle Changes for ED
- Keep yourself hydrated.
- Consume a well-balanced diet.
- Get some exercise on a regular basis.
- Maintain a healthy body mass
- Make an effort to regulate your stress.
- Maintain good sleeping habits.
- Avoid smoking.
Other Treatments for ED
A plant-based diet or a healthy diet, in general, goes a long way to determine your quality of life. Especially as you get older, it becomes even more important to maintain a healthy lifestyle. All healthy habits do contribute to a decreased chance of developing ED, but if the root cause is not addressed, you may still suffer symptoms of ED even when maintaining a healthy diet. Hence, it is recommended that you seek professional help. Your reflex may be to just buy generic Viagra or spedra, but you should first see a doctor. The ED could be due to some underlying health issues that may require other treatments or some psychological issues needing therapy. Only a doctor can find the exact cause, and if they deem it necessary, they will prescribe you the medication. These may include Cialis (tadalafil), Viagra (sildenafil), or Levitra (vardenafil).