We have all made that New Year resolution which can range from quitting smoking to making sure that we do not procrastinate and yet, most of us have failed miserably in sticking with it. Did you ever wonder why that is? The reasons could be many stemming from stress to peer pressure but the point is that you can take a few measures to ensure that you do not break your next New Year resolution. Here are a few tips to help you get started.
- Be realistic: The first rule of thumb is that you need to be realistic when it comes to New Year’s resolutions especially if you do not want to break the same. For example, promising yourself that you will climb Mt Everest within a year is just a perfect example of the sort of bad New Year resolution that you should not be making. It is not that you cannot climb Everest but the amount of training required would take the best part of the year. This is why you need to set realistic New Year resolutions that you have a chance of pulling it off.
- Set up a plan: You need to co-opt your friends and loved ones to help you fight against that temptation to break your New Year resolution. You will need the support of your loved ones; more importantly, you need to have a firm well laid out plan so that you can follow it to the letter and ensure that you stay the course.
- Pros and cons: You must develop a list of pros and cons as to why you need to drop a particular habit. You must keep this list with you at all times and refer to the same whenever you get the cravings. This list can help you realize why dropping this habit is important to you and can help ensure that you do not fall off the wagon.
- Maintain a journal: It is important that you maintain a journal as you mark your progress over a period of time, with regard to your habit. And make a point of reading it often as it can help highlight the various reasons for your addiction, usually, it is stress. Moreover, reading the journal regularly can help motivate you to do better and to stick to the plan.
- Do not feel guilty: Chances are that you are bound to slip every now and then; there is nothing to be gained by feeling guilty, just pick yourself up, and stay determined to quit the habit for good. You may also have to make a few changes including changes to your lifestyle as you stick with your new year resolution.
With these tips, you should be able to stick with your New Year resolutions and become a better person for the same. It is important that you share this information regarding your current resolution so that your loved ones can help you to achieve what seems nearly impossible to you at the moment.